Wrington A's beat Cheddar in the Weston and District football division

By Chew Valley Gazette in Football

Sean Cole produced two stunning finishes to turn this entertaining fixture in the home side’s favour and the three points not only banish any mathematical fears of relegation, but in this crazy competitive League, a win next week could see the A’s finish as high as fourth.

Managers James Marshall and Jonny Marsh again had a busy week with First Team call ups and the Easter holidays. With a glut of forward minded players, Matt Lenny and Adam Caulfield joined stalwart Dave Pullen in a good looking new look back three. Cheddar were the first to settle and even though playing up hill in the first half, their wide players managed to push forward and dominate the first quarter. They took a deserved lead when a diagonal ball freed the left wing for a run on goal although the mis hit shot barely dribbled over the line despite the despairing dive of Sharman in goal.

Wrington’s midfield of Lucas, Kris Giles, Faulkner and Louvais worked hard to get into the game but with the blustery wind it was difficult to get forwards McMullen and Marshall on the ball and it left Cole as the main threat chasing long balls. This fixture is always entertaining but it did look as if Wrington would suffer a frustrating afternoon as Cheddar defence looked comfortable.

It took the typically competitive and bustling Louvais to win a free kick in an advanced area to win Wringtons’ first real sight of goal. Although wide out on the right, Dan McMullen encouraged Cole to have a go with his left foot and he duly obliged by using the wind to smash in a pile driver that crept in under the bar . The cliché about goals changing matches was once again evident as Wrington now took control and started to pass the ball around. As usual, Faulkner started to win all the 50/50 balls. Marshall started to win the headers and Dan McMullen found time on the ball.

Within minutes, a fine team move saw Lucas and Lenny release Louvais who had found space on the right. His powerful, precise cross was met by the finish it deserved as the on rushing Cole fired in first time to give the goal keeper no chance.

Wrington suffered a setback when Marshall took a knock and his replacement Fin Taplin was also injured leading to a reshuffle at half time.

With Jonny Marsh in midfield, Kris Giles looked very comfortable on the left and Wrington settled well into the second half looking in control and passing the ball well. Cole kept up his work rate searching for his hat trick, the clearest chance coming when the commanding pairing of Lenny and Caulfield broke forward to release him one on one with the keeper only for the shot to drift inches wide.

Although entertaining, there were few clear cut chances and the only incidents of note were a deliberate handball from the Cheddar centre back when McMullen was threatening to release Cole again which resulted in only a yellow card, and Paul Faulkner was bundled off the ball in a 50/50 challenge which I have never seen before. Similarly, not content with his two goals Sean Cole produced a wonderful cross which just eluded Faulkner and sealed his Man Of The Match effort by tracking back to defend as well!!

The last game of the season is Portishead B at The Rec next Saturday.

Wrington A 2 V Cheddar A 1 – Weston and District Div 4

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C